Minutes for the Tybee Island Maritime Academy (TIMA)
October 15, 2012
Carolyn Jurick, President of the Governing Board, welcomed everyone.
Kay Fortner gave the Treasurer’s Report. We have current assets of $27,315.71.
- Carolyn Jurick gave an update on the meeting with the Georgia State Board of Education. The Tybee Island Maritime Academy was approved to open in August 2013.
- In the future, TIMA monthly meetings will be held the 3rd Monday of the month unless advance notice is given.
- The Spelling Bee was a huge success.
- Sons of the American Legion Pancake Breakfast was well attended. The organization will vote this week concerning hosting future fund raisers for TIMA.
- Governing Board will be as is until June 2013. At that time, we will elect six parents and Christen, Cindy, Kay and Carolyn will remain on the Board. Perb will remain as CFO.
- The facility meeting was postponed until next week.
- Christine will send out a bid for Scope of Work by tomorrow for the web page design. By next Wednesday, bids will be reviewed. Leslie and Christine will on the Technology Committee.
- Christine discussed a Marketing Committee. Carol Nathan, Tammy Smith, Laura O’Hare, and Christine will be on this committee. The contact person is Christine. The first meeting will be tonight.
- The new brochures/flyers were donated by Cindy Cupp.
- T-shirts orders were taken.
- There was a question of people serving on the board.
Schedule of Events
- A committee to interview the principal was formed. Carolyn will chair the committee,
- Community Day will be Oct. 21.
- Halloween will be Oct. 31 and TIMA will set up a table at Cindy’s house at 129 Lewis Ave. .
- During January, TIMA will have an Open House at our new school.
- On January 5, 2013, the Savannah Chatham County School System will host an event to spotlight programs at the Savannah Trade Center.
- Oatland Island will sponsor at Halloween Hike on Oct 19, 20.
- Cane Grinding will be on Oatland Island on Nov 10. We'll need volunteers and handouts.
- The Charter School Amendment states “Shall the Constitution be amended to allow state or local approval of public charter schools upon the request of the local community?”
The meeting was adjourned.