Tybee Island Maritime Academy
Founding/Governing Board Minutes
March 18, 2013
Minutes –The minutes were approved.
Treasurer’s Report-Kay Fortner– We now have $19,404.37 in our bank account.
- Facility Update- Perb Fortner
Lease: The Bishop and TIMA executed the lease on March 6, 2013 and we have it in our files. A copy of the lease has been sent to Dr. Campbell, GA Department of Education Facilities Unit that issues the school code to include with our site approval package that he should receive later this week.
- Technology Update: The buildings layout has been provided to David Feliciano, Chief Data and Accountability Officer for SCCPSS. He has provided all of the information to his engineering department for their recommendations.
- Site Approval: The site approval package was provided to SCCPSS for their review and approval. Dr. Buck and Dr. Lockamy both have signed off on our site package. It was then provided to Dr. Mickey Schuber, GA DOE Facilities Consultant, on March 11, 2013. Mickey signed off on it on March 14, 2013 and sent to Dr. Mike Campbell. Mike had not received it as of today, but will be looking for it from the mailroom early this week.
- Facility Upgrades: I will be meeting with the church representative, Frank Kelly, to work together on managing the upgrades to the buildings.
- Implementation Grant
On March 12, Carolyn Jurick, Kay Fortner and Perb Fortner met with SCCPSS to go over details of spending the $475,000.
- Website-Brenda/Christen – Brenda Marion took a class on how to make changes on the web page. She will now be in charge of the web page.
- Request for new secretary – The secretary’s position will be posted.
- Job Fair at Oglethorpe –Cindy Cupp and Brenda Marion attended the Job Fair at Oglethorpe Academy.
- Board Presentation-Carolyn Jurick presented to the Savannah Chatham County Board of Education. The presentation was well received by the Chatham Board.
- Pulaski Elementary School—Christen and Carolyn attended the meeting designed to tell military families about educational opportunities in the Savannah Chatham County School System
- Principal and Interviewing-
Twenty seven people applied. Seven people were interviewed. Three people are finalist. .
- Student Enrollment – We currently have 98 students enrolled.
- Teacher postings – Teaching positions were posted for two weeks with Chatham County. We are now taking resumes.
We have 200 teachers applying to teach at TIMA. We currently have a need for 7 teachers.
- Student Expo and ad in the paper cost $236 for the ad. We will be given a table at no charge for the Student Expo.
- SMART agreement—The agreement with SMART is attached. The TIMA Board unanimously agree to pay up the $1,200 for 9 educators from TIMA to attend the training in Virginia.
- Interviews for Principals
- Student registrations/ongoing
- There will be a presentation to Board at SCCPSS on April 10th concerning budget.
- Carolyn will meet with Kevin Wall about what the Board is looking for at the April 10th meeting.