Minutes for the
Tybee Island Maritime Academy
November 12, 2012
Carolyn Jurick, President of the Governing Board called the meeting to order and welcomed everyone.
Kay Fortner, Treasurer, reported that TIMA had $27,498.71 in the checking account.
The minutes from the October Governing Board meeting were discussed and approved.
- Board Protocol – If an item is not listed on the agenda, it will not be discussed. .
- Meeting with SCCPSS – On November 2, 2012, some TIMA Board members met with the Savannah Chatham County Board of Education staff. SCCPSS takes 3% of TIMA’s money for services provided to the school. TIMA will be allowed to link to SCCPSS ACORN account.
In further discussion, Carolyn Jurick explained that TIMA was an at will employer. We will have all benefits offered to SCCPSS teachers.
The meeting with SCCPSS was very informative and productive.
- Charter School Amendment – The Charter School Amendment passed. Georgia will have a Commission on the State level that can approve Charter Schools.
- Implementation Grant – TIMA will apply for a $550,000 Implementation Grant. If TIMA receives this Implementation Grant, the funds may be used for numerous items including technology, white boards, classroom furniture, $5,000 for audit, and TIMA will be allowed to pay three people three months before school starts.
- Engineering Costs – Perb Fortner reported we have one bid in for the cost of doing the work needed for building approval. We will be asking for other bids. We must have at least three bids. Bids must have Phase One Environmental Assessment, Phase Two - _________________.
- Fire Marshall – Perb Fortner will call the Fire Marshall tomorrow.
- Website – Christian had 12 submissions ranging in price from $800 to $4,500 for the TIMA web designer for the web page. TIMA wants the web site to be able to handle teacher information for students. The top two bids were made by Jillison Parks and Bethany Matheny. These web designers were interviewed by Christian.
- Jillison Parks has been in Savannah for 12 years. She charges $75.00 an hour. Training videos will be included with her web design fee. The web page will have 10-20 pages and includes two revisions. Stock images, mobile responses and training videos are also included.
- Bethany Matheny bid is $2,000 for the web pages. She charges $20 an hour to work with her. Bethany includes 13 pages. Bethany is in West Virginia.
- Facility – This was covered in previous discussions.
- Community Day was very successful. Parents asked questions. Is it free? Will transportation be provided?
- Halloween – We signed up 55 students interested in the school.
- Oatland Island Halloween Hike – Leslie and Christen attended.
- Advertise for Principal—Interviewing for principal
TIMA will post this application in numerous sites.
- Student round up (Committee)
- Student Expo (January 5) International Trade Center 11-3
- Campground Celebration
- December 8 parade – Walk with a sign.
- Marketing – Getting off Tybee Island, Flyers
- American Legion Christmas Party
- American Legion – Hot Dogs for kids, fundraisers, City of Tybee
December 1, 2012 12-5 American Legion