Governing Board Minutes 8-11-14

Governing Board


August 11, 2014

Welcome and introduction of board members-Carolyn

Members present: Carolyn Jurick, Patrick Rossiter, Alaina Bennett, Tammy Smith, Jack Baizley, Perb Fortner, Kay Fortner, Christen Clougherty, Kim Webster, Brenda Marion, Kelly Yambor-Diehl

Minutes—Brenda Minutes

Christen made a motion to accept the minutes from June meeting (there was no July meeting held). Kay seconded the motion. All were in favor.


Treasurer’s Report-Kay

Because there was no July meeting, the Treasurer’s Report includes financials for both June and July.

June 2014

The Bank Accounts have been reconciled for June 2014. The reconciled bank balances are South State Bank $6,143.15 and BB&T $ 47,428.80 for a total of $53,571.95 for the month ending June 30, 2014.

Other assets include $33,418.00. None of the assets purchased with the federal grant monies are included in this amount.


$ 8,072.91 ($380.00 from 2013 and $7,692.91 from 2014) Tour of Homes

$ 3,200.00 TIMA Crew donation

$ 145.29 Music and Art Fundraiser (Art teacher supplies)

$ 690.91 Year Book and Pictures


$ 81,190.00 Salaries and Benefits

$ 4,555.00 Engineering fee for modular classroom

$ 88.16 Classroom Supplies

$ 93.61 Field Trips (First Student transportation)

$ 4,000.00 Rent

$ 2,990.00 Custodial Services

$ 9.77 Custodial Supplies

$ 375.19 Office Supplies

$ 2,281.44 Utilities and Phone

$ 2,739.23 Copier rental

$ 215.35 Security

$ 776.00 Insurance

$ 250.75 End of Year Meals for Meetings

July 2014

The Bank Accounts have been reconciled for July 2014. The reconciled bank balances are Savannah Bank $6,143.04 and BB&T $ 142,005.21 for a total of $148,148.25 for the month ending July 31, 2014.

Other assets include $43,180.69. None of the assets purchased with the federal grant monies are included in this amount.


$ 126,218.00—First quarter payment from Savannah Chatham County Board of Education (correct amount will be approximately $88,000 per quarter. We are still reconciling this amount. Look for adjustment on next payment).

$ 253.09 from Publix

$25.00 Parkers (pump pal program)

$ 5.00 Magnet


$680.00 Contract Labor (Sec – Bkkp and putting furniture together)

$ 545.00 Engineering fee for modular classroom

$ 8.25 Classroom Supplies

$ 4,770.05 Software Edmentum (this and the next expense are yearly expenses, usually incurred at the beginning of the year—Study Island and STAR Reading Programs)

$ 3,845.20 Renaissance Learning Student Assessment

$ 4,000.00 Rent

$ 2,240.00 Custodial Services

$ 2,550.00 Plumbing Modulars

$ 1,818.26 Utilities and Phone

$ 642.23 Copier rental

$ 1,263.00 Insurance

The modulars will end up costing about $40k/year ($2605/month + utilities and liability insurance)

Brenda made a motion to approve the treasurer’s report; Christen seconded; all in favor.

Principal’s Report—Patrick Rossiter—Opening of School and Update:

We have 234 students (not including no-shows); think we’ll get to 240 by day 10 count. We have a staff of 20 (3 kindergarten teachers; 2 first grade teachers; 2 second grade teachers; 2 third grade teachers, 2 fourth grade teachers; 1 fifth grade teacher; 2 specials—one position still open; 1 para-pro, still open; 1 gifted; 1 art, 1 music, and 1 PE, plus Pat and Jennifer). The city graciously provided Tybee parking passes to all teachers who live off-island. The open para-pro and special ed positions have been re-posted.

Last year’s test scores:                                                  Exceeds rate:

100% Reading

23% higher than state average

98% Language Arts

2% higher than state average

90% Math

8% higher than state average

96% Science

21% higher than state average

96% Social Studies

9% higher than state average

19% of our students missed 10 days last year (32% were kindergartners). Our charter mandates a 93% attendance rate as proof of student engagement, so we need to nip this issue in the bud now. Pat stressed this point at the Open House, and CREW will continue to emphasize the importance of student attendance at all meetings, using FB, etc.

Old Business

  • Any committee reports
  • Committees (Dates of meetings, goals, etc.)
  1. Safety-Tammy—by the end of this week or beginning of next week, 5th grade safety patrol will be implemented.
  2. Assessment-Christen—in the next couple of weeks, we should be receiving an enormous survey from the state, the completed copy of which will be due back to them by October 1. Student Learning Objectives (SLOs) have been submitted to the state. We are using Star Reading, Math, etc. and the Star Early Literacy for kindergarten and first grade. We will have Star testing 4x this year, each one should be a 30-45 minute test. ITBS will be administered to third, fourth, and fifth grades this year; we may include second grade again this year as it gives them test practice and a benchmark for third grade next year. Milestones will be replacing CRTC; it fits with the project approach, so our students should do well. Format is multiple choice and then justifying your selection. Regarding TIMA’s culture assessment that teachers, parents, and students completed last year, Christen will send the compiled spreadsheet of responses to Pat for inclusion with our file for testing and surveys.
  3. Facility-Perb—we have a conditional CO for mobile classrooms, the condition being that the ramps have to be fastened/tied down and hurricane-proof, which they are…wind resistant to 141.5 mph now. One of the surveyors waived his fee to complete survey—everyone has helped out tremendously. We have had a/c issues since day one, but everything seems to be fixed now. Networking and wiring are in process. We are waiting on a distribution box and alarm/intrusion system installation. View-Sonic installation is in process. The electrical work was dramatically more expensive than we anticipated, almost double. We expected about $20k but it will end up being more like $40k. GA Power is adding a third bill for the annex mobile b/c we had to add another meter.
  4. Finance-Kay—Jennifer and Kay will be receiving training on the NOVA inventory system tomorrow morning. We have the bar codes, will need volunteers to help apply the bar codes to everything that needs inventorying. The system can ID whether or not we bought the item, or the feds/state/county, etc. did. Everything has been posted to QuickBooks and finalized for the federal grant, so we are all prepared for our annual audit and tax returns. We selected Chris Litdle from KRT to perform our audit. They also audit the BOE.
  5. Communication-Alaina—The 15th will be the deadline for newsletter content so it can be sent on the 20th of the month. We all need to be thinking about ways to market our fundraisers and get more participation and donations. Does it make sense to invite the media out to report on fourth grade openings before 10 day count? Yes, especially if we combine it with tomorrow being TIMA’s 1st anniversary!
  6. Marketing—Will be changed to Development. We need to procure grants and funds outside of the families attending and already supporting TIMA. Fundraising goal should be $30k-$50k and funds will be used for things like: (250) laptops; smart boards and projectors installations; musical instruments; art supplies, etc. This committee will work in concert with CREW but have separate goals. Christen mentioned that Whole Foods does a 5% donation shopping day as well as gardening grants. Brenda will look into the former.

New Business

  • PTVA (The TIMA CREW) update—Brenda

Spelling Bee moved to Thursday, October 2 (city council moved their September 11 meeting to September 18, necessitating that we change date).

CREW had welcome packet at Open House with Spirit Wear order form, calendar of events for the year, CREW membership application, CREW board list, and more. Carolyn also emailed the forms to everyone and copies of Spirit Wear order forms will go home this week as orders (and payments) are due by Friday, August 15, in order to ensure delivery of shirts by first Spirit Wear day. Shirts this year are slightly different design than last year and navy instead of light blue.

We will do a CREW membership drive in conjunction with the August 26 meeting. Pat agreed to do a party for class with most participation like 5 Guys.

  • Dates for Governing Board Meetings: it was agreed to keep meetings on second Monday of the month.

Open Agenda

Bus issues were discussed.

Kelly asked if we have a relationship with the Georgia Ports…we do have involvement with MLET, Propeller Club, Navy Club, etc. but if she knows anyone there, by all means try to get them involved. We could make a target list of people and invite them for a tour (Hunter base, Gulfstream, GPA, etc.). Christen suggested we spotlight ways that we emphasize maritime in the newsletter and then we would have a leave-behind PR piece we could share with them.

Jack asked if we have three kindergarten classes this year how we will structure next year and it was noted that we will have two kindergartens next year, three first grade classes, etc. and then when the current kindergartners get to third grade, class size increases so it will balance out.

Meeting Adjourned to Executive Session.

Executive Session

  • Personnel
  • August 12, 2014 –Happy First Birthday, TIMA!
  • August 23, 2014—Home Depot/Master Gardeners Raised Gardens Workday (open to all)
  • August 26, 2014—TIMA CREW Organizational Meeting
  • August 29, 2014-Spirit Wear Dress Down Day!
  • September 8, 2014—Five Guys Burger Night and Governing Board Meeting

Announcements/Upcoming Events


TIMA art -

Keep In Touch


Quick Contact

  • (912) 395-4060
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Driving Directions